530 W Main Street, Anoka, MN 55303, United States
Email : Swedishcrownbakery@yahoo.com
Phone : 763-427-0506
FOX9: RECIPE FROM SWEDISH CROWN BAKERY
Karleks Mums (or Mocha squares) are a favorite from the Swedish Crown Bakery in Anoka.
- 3 eggs
- 1.5 cup sugar
- 1.5 cup flour
- 2 tbsp. Cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 6 oz. melted butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 150g butter
- 6 tbsp. coffee
- 4 tsp cocoa
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 cup powdered sugar
- Shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Using a kitchen mixer, whip eggs and sugar on high speed until white & fluffy.
3. While whipping eggs, melt butter in a pot on the stove.
4. Sift flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a bowl and set aside.
5. When butter is melted, add milk. It is important that the butter is hot when adding the milk, so the mixture doesn’t cool down too much.
6. When the egg/sugar mixture is ready, change the mixer from high to low speed.
7. Gradually add the flour and the butter mixtures to the egg mixture. Continue to whisk on slow for 15-20 seconds, or until there are no signs of lumps. If there are still lumps, change the speed to medium and whisk for another 10 seconds.
8. Pour the batter into an oiled 9×13 pan and bake at 350 F for 18-20 min. Check with a toothpick to make sure the cake is ready inside. Set aside to cool.
9. While the cake is cooling, make the glaze.
10. Melt the butter in a pot. When fully melted, add all the other ingredients while stirring quickly with a whisk or wooden spatula until it forms a shiny, semi-thick glaze. If the glaze is too thick, add more coffee, a tsp at a time. If the glaze is too runny, add more powdered sugar.
11. Put glaze on the cooled cake, making sure to spread evenly.
12. Sprinkle cake with unsweetened shredded coconut.
13. Let the glaze settle on the cake before cutting into squares and enjoying with a cup of coffee or tea.